[CIG-SHORT] Pylith executable

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 4 19:00:38 PDT 2012

On 10/4/12 5:56 PM, Birendra jha wrote:
> How can I create a executable package of Pylith from my build? Only a
> couple of original files in libsrc/pylith/feassemble have been
> modified, that too very slightly. It works in the build but I would
> like something similar to pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64 package, for
> portability.
>
> In my Pylith install directory I have bin, share, include, lib, conf.
> In the pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64 folder (from the website) I see bin,
> share, include, lib, lib64, etc, src, and setup.sh.
>
> Can I update the package just by replacing the libpylith.so.0.0.0?

I doubt that you can replace our libpylith with your libpylith. This
could work if you had exactly the same compiler suite and operating
system setup that we used in the buildbot. A better option would be to
create a PyLith branch in the repository. We can build binaries on the
buildbots using branches in the svn repository. This is how we build
bugfix releases while continuing to develop new features on the trunk.
Note that Matt is in the process of rewriting Sieve in C, so there will
be lots of interface changes coming in a few months.

> Another question: Is it possible to add the timestep information in a
> Paraview animation? I am creating the avi file through 'Save
> Animation'. It would be nice to have the timestep number (or
> something similar) on each frame.

We set the time stamps in the xdmf files, so ParaView recognizes these.
I would follow the instructions that Charles provided. In general,
writing the frames and then using tools to create a movie file will
result in a better quality movie.