[CIG-SHORT] Output fault info at each time step

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 15 09:35:20 PDT 2012

On 10/15/12 9:18 AM, Hongfeng Yang wrote:
> The PyLith manual says in Page 78
> "By default the output manager outputs both diagnostic information
> (e.g., fault normal direction) and the slip at each time step."
>
> However, I have only seen the data fields output at each time step, but
> not the orientation info although I've requested as the following
> [pylithapp.problem.interfaces.fault.output]
> vertex_info_fields = [normal_dir,strike_dir,dip_dir]
> vertex_data_fields = [slip,slip_rate,traction]
> output_freq = time_step
> time_step = 0.04999*s
> writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5SubSubMesh
> writer.filename = output/swdyn-fault.h5

A clearer wording would be we slip at each time step and diagnostic
information. The diagnostic information does not change with time, so we
only output it once.

> In addition, when I output the data using points-output manager, I've
> only seen displacement although I request both displacement and
> velocity. Anyone has encountered this before?
> [pylithapp.problem.formulation.output.points]
> reader.filename = output_points.txt
> vertex_data_fields = [displacement,velocity]
> output_freq = time_step
> time_step = 0.04999*s
> writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5Mesh
> writer.filename = output/swdyn-points.h5

This is a bug that I fixed for the next release. You actually get
displacement and then velocity at each time step in the "displacement"
field. A workaround would be to create two points-output managers and
have displacement output for one and velocity for the other.

We plan to release v1.8.0 later this month that will contain a number of
recent bug fixes plus a few small enhancements.