[CIG-SHORT] A problem with Green's function generation examples

Zhou Yu zhouyuking39 at qq.com
Tue Sep 11 20:53:11 PDT 2012

Dear developers:
          I'm so glad that pylith-1.7.1 can compute static Green's
function and a 2D example in contained in the example directory of
pylith release package. When I ran the 2D strikeslip example, it went so
well. Then I ran a simple 3D example written by myself, the following
error message prompted out after I ran "pylith
--problem=pylith.problems.GreensFns"

    Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/opt/pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64/bin/pylith", line 39, in
    <module>
         start(applicationClass=PyLithApp)
       File
    "/opt/pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pythia-0.8.1.14-py2.7.egg/pyre/applications/__init__.py",
    line 41, in start
         shell.run(**kwds)
       File
    "/opt/pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pythia-0.8.1.14-py2.7.egg/pyre/applications/Shell.py",
    line 125, in run
         app.applyConfiguration(context)
       File
    "/opt/pylith-1.7.1-linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pythia-0.8.1.14-py2.7.egg/pyre/inventory/Configurable.py",
    line 84, in applyConfiguration
         raise ValueError("%s\nBacktrace - Component %s" % (err.message,
    aliases))
    ValueError: Error while configuring spatial database reader
    (simpleioascii, iohandler):
    Filename for spatial database not specified.
    Backtrace - Component simpleioascii, iohandler
    Backtrace - Component simpledb, slip
    Backtrace - Component stepslipfn, slip_function
    Backtrace - Component eqkinsrc, rupture
    Backtrace - Component singlerupture, eq_srcs
    Backtrace - Component faultcohesivekin, fault
    Backtrace - Component interfaces
    Backtrace - Component greensfns, problem
    Backtrace - Component pylithapp

I checked every line of my pylithapp.cfg and greenfns.cfg, but I
couldn't find anything wrong. Then I looked up in the maillist,
fortunately I found another example in CIG-SHORT Digest, Vol 70, Issue
18 in the attachment by Rowena Lohman. Her example seems all right
according to her mail except for a minor output problem, but when I
downloaded the attachment and ran it, the same error message prompt up
again. I can't figure out the error message because I do have specified
every spatialdb file name!

I attached both my example and Lohman's in this mail. My pylith version
is pylith-1.7.1-linux-i686 binary. Could you help me with this problem?