[CIG-SHORT] lateral heterogeneity

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:13:19 PDT 2012

Hi Rebecca,

PyLith can definitely do this.  I'm not sure about RELAX.  For PyLith, you can either:

1.  Define different materials on either side of the interface (if you want a different viscoelastic model).
2.  Create a spatial database with a horizontal variation.  If you want a sharp contrast, you would just have very closely-spaced points near the interface.

Let me know if you need more info.

On 29/09/2012, at 6:39 AM, Rebecca Bendick wrote:

> Hi, everyone.  I'm experimenting with lateral heterogeneity (i.e. the effective viscosity changes across a vertical interface), and I'm wondering if either RELAX or PyLith can accommodate that scenario without modifying the source code.  I don't see any examples in the documentation for either.
>
> Thanks,
> Becks
> Rebecca Bendick
> SC 331