[CIG-SHORT] lateral heterogeneity

Sylvain Barbot sylbar.vainbot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 13:22:39 PDT 2012

Dear Rebecca,

Thanks for your interest in the CIG codes. You can easily integrate
lateral variations of viscosity in Relax. Currently, there are two
examples available:

1) Viscoelastic flow following the 2001 Mw 7.8 Kokoxili earthquake in
Tibet (examples/tibet/kokoxili/kokoxili_vs3d.sh). In this case, the
lateral variation of viscosity is assumed to mirror the change in Moho
depth from the Tibetan Plateau to the Qaidam Basin. See Ryder et al.
(2011) for more details.

2) The coupled afterslip-viscoelastic deformation following the 2009
Mw 7.1 Chi-Chi earthquake in Taiwan (examples/taiwan/coupled.sh). The
model is from a paper in review by Rousset et al., where strong
lateral contrasts in viscosity are justified from the high thermal
anomaly below the Central Range inferred from thermo-kinematic
modeling and high surface heat flow.

There are also simple unix scripts that can be used with Relax to
incorporate realistic Moho depths from tomography or receiver
functions, for example from the recent reconstruction of Tape et al.
(2012) in California.

Best wishes,
Sylvain Barbot