[CIG-SHORT] dynamic benchmark problem

surendra at caltech.edu surendra at caltech.edu
Mon Apr 15 12:14:30 PDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Roby Douilly wrote:

> Thank you Brad, I will try changing the shear wave speed and wave period to see. But I do have a question
> regarding this benchmark. I run the 200m resolution and in this case the rupture didn't propagate in the branch
> fault. The reason I was trying to run the 100m resolution is to see if the rupture could propagate on the branch fault.
> Do you think that the rupture will propagate on the branch fault at 100m  and also is 200m to large for the rupture to
> jump on the branch fault?

By going to finer resolutions, you are testing convergence of a problem rather than addressing the question of whether or not rupture propagates on to the branch.  Branch fault may or may not rupture depending on factors like rupture speed, branch angle and stress orientation but should be independent of resolution as long as cohesive zone is well resolved.

TPV14 and TPV15 3D benchmarks were designed in such a way that branch fault ruptures completely in TPV15 entire branch fault rutpures while in TPV14 rupture does initiate on the branch but isn't able to propagate to the other end of branch fault.
(I can send you figures of rutpure time contours for each of these cases in case you don't have access to SCEC dynamic rutpure code validation website)

--Surendra