[CIG-SHORT] dynamic benchmark problem

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Apr 15 12:11:57 PDT 2013

On 4/15/13 12:14 PM, surendra at caltech.edu wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2013, at 12:52 PM, Roby Douilly wrote:
>
>> Thank you Brad, I will try changing the shear wave speed and wave
>> period to see. But I do have a question regarding this benchmark. I
>> run the 200m resolution and in this case the rupture didn't
>> propagate in the branch fault. The reason I was trying to run the
>> 100m resolution is to see if the rupture could propagate on the
>> branch fault. Do you think that the rupture will propagate on the
>> branch fault at 100m  and also is 200m to large for the rupture to
>> jump on the branch fault?
>
> By going to finer resolutions, you are testing convergence of a
> problem rather than addressing the question of whether or not rupture
> propagates on to the branch.  Branch fault may or may not rupture
> depending on factors like rupture speed, branch angle and stress
> orientation but should be independent of resolution as long as
> cohesive zone is well resolved.

Yes, the resolutions are testing convergence, but the convergence is not
simply limited to resolving the cohesive zone. The behavior depends on
the dynamic stress changes associated with the propagating seismic waves
that interact with the rupture. The resolution must also be fine enough
to resolve the peaks in the dynamic stress changes.