[CIG-SHORT] Implicit to Explicit formulation for quasi-static to dynamic simulation

Birendra jha bjha7333 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 11:22:51 PDT 2013

Hi all

Is it possible to change the formulation from Implicit to Explicit during the simulation? I am modifying the example in

/examples/bar_shearwave/quad4/spontaneousrup_slipweakening.cfg

such that the rupture happens after some time in the simulation. I want to switch from the Implicit formulation to the Explicit formulation during the dynamic rupture phase.

Is it possible to specify a switch time for this, or probably a criterion on the difference between the fault strength and the shear traction such that dynamic simulation begins just before rupture begins? This will save a lot of time compared to using Explicit time step of less than a second during the quasi-static phase.

If there are other ways to achieve this, please let me know.

Thanks and best regards
Birendra