[CIG-SHORT] Intermediate Results

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Mar 11 11:54:16 PDT 2013

On 3/11/13 11:48 AM, BOK10 at pitt.edu wrote:
> So I looked at each simulation carefully and found that the earthquakes do
> occur in the same time-stamp in both cases. That being said, the amount of
> slip is NOT the same in both. Before an earthquake occurs, the behavior is
> identical (though the range of stresses in the block differ).

You are heading in the right direction. Look at the fault tractions and
see if they are the same right before the earthquake. Look at the fault
tractions right after the earthquake too. They should be as close as the
tractions before if the nonlinear solve proceeded correctly. The key is
to isolate the differences and associate them with some aspect of the
problem setup or solver tolerances.

Brad