[CIG-SHORT] a question on pylith

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 10:00:28 PST 2013

As a follow-up to Brad's response, the infinitesimal strain approximation (default) does not include the effects of density changes due to volume change, but the small strain model does include these effects.  The small strain model includes geometrical nonlinearity, and is thus a nonlinear model.  You will be able to calculate density changes, but PyLith does not do gravitational calculations.  You would need to first compute the density changes with PyLith, and then use a gravity code to compute the gravity changes.  I hope this helps.

On 12/11/2013, at 3:53 PM, Brad Aagaard wrote:

> Shi,
>
> PyLith solves the elasticity equation (see the manual for details on the governing equations). Using the small-strain formulation, the effects of changes in the geometry associated with deformation will change the resulting gravitational loading. Calculating any resulting changes in the geoid from the deformation would require post-processing with your own code. If I am misunderstanding your questions, please send a more mathematical description of what you want to do.
>
> Regards,
> Brad
>

> On 11/11/13 1:54 PM, shi chen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> From the CIG website, I know the pylith software can simulate tectonic
>> deformation problems. I am very interest in the pylith. But I want to
>> know that PyLith is eligible to simulate the density change due to the
>> elastic/viscoelastic compressible model or not? I want to simulate the
>> force perturbation due to dilatation with the defined multi density
>> layer model. And further to calculate the gravity change with the
>> density change.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> Best regards!
>>

>> Shi CHEN