[CIG-SHORT] Velocity value for nodes on free surface

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 19 08:46:32 PST 2013

Christian,

I follow the general idea of what you are describing but not all of the
details. Imposing a slip rate is different than imposing a velocity on
one side of the fault. When imposing a slip rate, the geometry, BC, and
elastic properties will control how that slip rate is partitioned into
the relative velocities on each side of the fault. If you question your
results, you can try simpler geometries, BC, etc to build up your
intuition and confidence that everything is setup the way you want it.