[CIG-SHORT] SCEC Banchmarks

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Dec 3 08:49:50 PST 2014

Huihui,

To assess convergence, you should be looking at both the time step and
discretization size and whatever fields you are interested in. The
solution is generally more sensitive to discretization size than time
step, so I would first assess convergence by varying the discretization
size.

It is also important to note that not all of the SCEC benchmarks are
well formulated so that the problem descriptions are independent of time
step and discretization size. Additionally, the ruptures in some cases
(including TPV205) abruptly hit the edges of the fault rather than
gradually dying out. As a result, it takes a long time for the slip rate
to decrease to zero.