[CIG-SHORT] SCEC Banchmarks

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Dec 5 08:58:55 PST 2014

Huihui,

In your previous email you mentioned changing the time step, but you
didn't mention if you changed the scales for the nondimensionalization
or any of the other parameters. This is likely affecting the results.

If you run the simulation at 100m resolution at time step of 0.01s, the
simulation can resolve shear waves (assuming 10 cells per wavelength)
with periods down to about 0.3s. If you run the simulation at 50m
resolution with a time step of 0.005s, the minimum wave period decreases
to 0.15s. In dynamic simulations, we use the shear wave speed, the mass
density, and minimum wave period to nondimensionalize the problem. This
means, that as you change the spatial resolution, you should be changing
the corresponding nondimensionalization parameters as well, in this case
the minimum period. However, changing the time step alone does not
change the minimum period, so the scales should remain unchanged.

However, there can be other side effects of changing just the time step.
For example, with explicit time stepping the normalized viscosity to
reduce high frequency oscillations is scaled by the time step (see
Section 4.2.2 of the PyLith Manual). In most cases, we do not change the
normalized viscosity as we change the spatial resolution. However,
changing the time step alone will alter the artificial damping. Thus,
you will need to adjust the normalized viscosity accordingly if you
change the time step to maintain the exact same problem. I don't think
you will need to change the zero sliding tolerance.