[CIG-SHORT] Speed up nonlinear solver for faults with friction

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 22 14:23:19 PST 2014

Jiangzhi,

You need to investigate what the linear and nonlinear solvers are doing.
You should turn on the residual and convergence flags:

[pylithapp.petsc]
ksp_monitor = true
ksp_converged_reason = true
ksp_error_if_not_converged = true

snes_monitor = true
snes_linesearch_monitor = true
snes_converged_reason = true
snes_error_if_not_converged = true

This will help you understand if the linear solver is converging, and
then what the nonlinear solver is doing. You want to see the residuals
decreasing with each solver converging.

You may want to review Step03 in the debugging tutorial from the June
workshop as well as the friction tutorial.
http://geodynamics.org/cig/events/calendar/2014-cdm-workshop/meeting-info/agenda/
See PyLith: Debugging simulation problems (Step03) and PyLith:
Introduction to fault friction.