[CIG-SHORT] Speed up nonlinear solver for faults with friction

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:34:30 PST 2014

Hi Jiangzhi,

Brad is gone for the holidays, so I’m not sure if he is checking e-mail.  Is this a 3D problem based on the 2D subduction zone example?  I don’t know what your other solver settings are, but for that example we used asm for the linear solver.  The reason is because that problem is technically singular when both faults cut entirely through the domain and there are no BC applied to the slab.  If that is not the case for your problem you can use field_split (see, for example, examples/3d/tet4/step04.cfg). That should speed up your linear solution.  As far as the nonlinear solution, that’s a bit trickier and we would need to see your solver settings.

> On 23/12/2014, at 10:52 am, Jiangzhi Chen <jiangzhi at uoregon.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Brad,
>
>   Is there some way to speed up the nonlinear solver when calculating the interseismic fault deformation with friction on the fault? In my current simulation, when I use kinematic constraints on faults, the whole calculation takes about 10 hours, but if I use friction instead of fault slip, the calculation seems to run forever (it has been running on server during the whole AGU week but not even the first time step is completed). I attached the configuration file.
>
> cheers,
> Jiangzhi
> <interseismic9.cfg>_______________________________________________

Charles A. Williams