[CIG-SHORT] Problem setting initial conditions

Oliver Boyd olboyd at usgs.gov
Fri Feb 7 09:50:34 PST 2014

Hi Brad,
Attached are some figures illustrating what I mean. In step1Kin, I use
Dirichlet boundary conditions on the domain edges and specified 100 cm of
fault slip on the fault. This generates stresses and strains in the
materials and tractions on the fault as depicted in the figure
step1Kin.png. If I let this simulation run, the viscoelastic layer will
relax. But I'd like to change the conditions on the fault surface. So as a
first step, I wanted to transfer the stresses and strains to step2Kin and
let them relax. In step2Kin, domain boundaries and fault surface initial
displacement is zero. I am hoping to get step1Kin and step2Kin to show the
same results after 200 years. But they don't. There is the expected
relaxation in step1Kin, but there is no relaxation in step2Kin. When I
first transferred just the stress through db_initial_stress and looked at
the stresses, strains, and tractions, step2Kin_stressini.png, I figured I
only needed to transfer over the strains to make it look like step1Kin and
everything would proceed as expected. But I haven't figured out how to
transfer the strains properly. When I attempt to transfer both the
stresses and strains, They appear to be working against each other.
(step2Kin_stress_strain_ini.png).

Oliver

On 2/6/14 4:45 PM, "Brad Aagaard" <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:

>Oliver,
>
>For the db_initial_strain, you are correct in that the values in the
>spatial database are strain-xx, etc.
>
>I don't know what you mean by "seeing the initial strain field being
>set". You can ask for the "initial_strain" field to be written as one of
>the cell info fields to check to make sure it is read in and matches
>what you expect the spatial database to produce. It does look like we
>may not be including the initial strain in the "total_strain" output
>field. Is this what you mean by "not seeing the initial strain field
>being set" or are you seeing the initial strain field not affecting the
>solution in the way you expect?
>
>Brad
>
>On 02/03/2014 09:04 AM, Oliver Boyd wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>> Thanks for your help. I had initially tried using db_initial_strain as
>> well as several of other things. I did as you suggested below, but do
>>not
>> see the initial strain field being set after running step2Kin. Thanks
>>for
>> reminding me of the use of --component.help. I was trying to figure out
>> what variables I needed to set in db_initial_strain. Based on the
>>manual I
>> thought it was strain-xx Š, but I wasn't sure. I thought I might be able
>> to get to it with help-properties, but I still haven't figured that out.
>> In any case, I'm still doing something wrong.
>>
>> Thanks again for your help,
>> Oliver
>>
>> On 2/2/14 11:07 AM, "Brad Aagaard" <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Oliver,
>>>
>>> There are separate spatial databases for initial stress and initial
>>> strain.
>>>
>>> [pylithapp.timedependent.materials.upper_crust]
>>> db_initial_stress = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB
>>> db_initial_stress.label = Initial stress in upper crust
>>> db_initial_stress.iohandler.filename =
>>> spatialdb/afterslip_stress_uppercrust.spatialdb
>>> db_initial_stress.query_type = nearest
>>>
>>> # ADD db_initial_strain
>>> db_initial_strain = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB
>>> db_initial_strain.label = Initial strain in upper crust
>>> db_initial_strain.iohandler.filename =
>>> spatialdb/afterslip_strain_uppercrust.spatialdb