[CIG-SHORT] Step 18 with two loads

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Jan 9 16:00:31 PST 2014

Jeanne,

When I looked at your input files, I realized you have one load, but are
changing the spatial variation of where the load is.

You are not getting the full error message. I think this is an MPI
related issue on Macs that we don't have control over. It may eventually
go away as we switch to updated versions. When I run your step18.cfg
with the v1.9.0 binary on my Linux machine, I get:

RuntimeError: Could not find values at ( 211.325 1788.68 0) for traction
boundary condition face_zpos using spatial database Neumann BC on +z.

The problem is that we use a very simple interpolation algorithm for
areal interpolation. It works well for relatively evenly spaced data and
breaks down for very irregularly spaced data. Your additional point
resulted in some unevenly spaced points. The solution is to fill in more
points on the surface to even out the spacing.

For example, add points along the center of the edges:
  3.0  0.0
  0.0  3.0
-3.0  0.0
  0.0 -3.0

For more points, add
  1.5  1.5
  1.5 -1.5
-1.5 -1.5
-1.5  1.5

The points don't have to be perfectly evenly spaced and you can
transition the spacing between points, but you need to do it gradually.

We should really add a third interpolation algorithm that uses radial
basis functions for cases when users what to use very irregularly spaced
points. I will add this to the long-term PyLith TODO list.