[CIG-SHORT] PyLith on Macs: incomplete error messages (malloc errors)

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Jan 16 13:41:50 PST 2014

PyLith users using the Darwin 10.x binaries:

It looks like the problem with PyLith aborting with error messages like

mpinemesis(16425) malloc: *** error for object 0x104b806e4: pointer
being freed was not allocated

instead of the error message we are really generating is a compiler bug
in the gcc 4.6.3 we used in building the binary for Darwin. I don't have
this problem on my Mac where I am using gcc 4.7.3. We should be able to
resolve this issue in the next release.