[CIG-SHORT] Griffith Crack Theory Implementation

Charles Williams C.Williams at gns.cri.nz
Tue Jan 28 17:27:29 PST 2014

Just to add to Brad’s comments — if you’re talking about crack propagation, that is not currently a feature of PyLith.  The fault surface would need to be pre-defined.

On 29/01/2014, at 11:22 am, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:

> Jared,
>
> PyLith's currently has two fault implementations. One is for prescribing slip time histories on the fault, and the other uses a friction model as a constitutive model for sliding/opening on the fault surface. In setting up the fault constitutive model implementation, I explicitly formulated it in terms of a friction model,
>
> T_s = C + mu_f * T_n,
>
> where T_s is the shear traction, C is cohesion, mu_f is the coefficient of friction, and T_n is the normal traction. Adding difference friction models is designed to be very easy and there is a template for doing so. The fault constitutive implementation could be rewritten to be more general and modular and would involve only a small piece of the code if you are inclined to get your hands dirty. We have much high priority and bigger issues on our plate right now related to expanding the capabilities of the code for higher order discretizations and multiphysics.
>
> Regards,
> Brad
>

> On 01/28/2014 12:06 PM, Jared William Graham Atkinson wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am currently working with Dr. Brad Hager at MIT and am looking at attempting to implement Griffith crack theory as a faulting/fracturing mechanism in Pylith.
>>
>> I have spoken with Lucas Willemsen about his previous work on Rate-State Ageing, and he suggested I contact this mailing list to see if the current Pylith iteration would be capable of handling a new constitutive law.
>>
>> Any insight into this issue and its viability is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>> Jared Atkinson

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon
PO Box 30368
Lower Hutt  5040
New Zealand
ph (office): 0064-4570-4566
fax (office): 0064-4570-4600
C.Williams at gns.cri.nz

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.