[CIG-SHORT] sensitivity of Drucker-Prager yielding to time step

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Jul 11 13:41:03 PDT 2014

Eric,

How close is your initial stress state to the yield condition? At what
time do you expect yielding to occur? Have you computed the yield
condition (equation 5.101 on page 88/252 in the PyLith manual) from the
PyLith output to see if it matches your expectations of when yielding
should occur?

My guess is that your load increment might be too big, so larger time
steps push the response much further outside the yield surface.
Intuitively I would think this would give a higher shear stress at
yielding at larger time steps but that is the opposite of what you see.
This is why I suggest going back to the yield criterion and starting
from there.

Brad