[CIG-SHORT] sensitivity of Drucker-Prager yielding to time step

Eric Lindsey elindsey at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 11 18:15:30 PDT 2014

Hi Brad,

In all cases (except possibly the dt=1yr case) it's yielding significantly
before the yield condition that I calculate. My initial stress state has no
shear stress, so it should be plenty far from the yield condition. The
initial isotropic compression is -100MPa, and the friction angle is 30
degrees -- for an inscribed Drucker-Prager yield condition, I found that
this implies yielding when the shear stress reaches 69.3 MPa. None of the
models yielded at that value (i.e. at the first time step that exceeded
that level).

I do have one confusion about the initial stress state. I was setting
sigma_zz_initial equal to the other two compressional stresses (isotropic
compression), but this technically violates the plane strain assumption
that sigma_zz = poisson_ratio*(sigma_xx + sigma_yy). Is this a problem? My
poisson ratio is 0.25, so I re-ran a few of the models and the calculation
of equation 5.101 for the case where sigma_zz_initial=-50MPa, in which case
I predicted that yielding should occur at a shear stress of 111.8 MPa. But
I get yielding at 40MPa for the dt=50years case, and 41MPa for dt=10years.

Sorry to send so much detail about this issue... your help is much
appreciated!

Eric