[CIG-SHORT] Fault direction in 3D fault

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon May 5 13:24:33 PDT 2014

Matt,

In 3-D the long-used convention for defining the two shear directions
(along-strike, and up-dip) is based on the fault normal and the
"up" direction. The convention breaks down for a horizontal fault
(vertical normal direction). The underlying assumption is that faults in
nature are not horizontal, and this holds up quite well. I have never
seen a convention for horizontal faults, so we don't have an easy fall back.

We can try a tolerance of 1.0e-6 and see how well it works.

Brad

On 05/05/2014 01:15 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
>
>> Charles,
>>
>> We use the same orientation function for Neumann BC and fault BC. The
>> issue is whether we use a strict mag == 0.0 check for parallel directions
>> or a mag <= tolerance check. Currently, we use mag == 0.0. If we use mag <=
>> tolerance, then we need a robust value for tolerance. That is, we want it
>> to catch cases that are problematic without triggering errors in cases that
>> are okay.
>

> Since faults can now be pretty twisty, does it make sense to have just one
> coordinate system? Could we have
> one for each element if we wanted?
>
> I think its fair to warn the user about a very ill-conditioned coordinate
> transform. I think there is no problem with
> a fairly large tolerance, 1e-6, since then you really should not be doing
> that transform.
>
>     Matt
>

>> Brad
>>

>> On 05/05/2014 12:34 PM, Charles Williams wrote:
>>
>>> If I’m not mistaken, when we’re applying Neumann BC, we actually exit
>>> with an error when up_dir and normal_dir are aligned.  This obviously
>>> doesn’t happen on faults, though.
>>>
>>> Charles

>>> Charles A. Williams
>>> Scientist