[CIG-SHORT] Fault direction in 3D fault

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 13:44:32 PDT 2014

Until the problem from the cig-short list, I had always assumed a horizontal fault would be a sill, and in that case we usually only care about fault-normal movement.  Having a fault that actually goes horizontal is a case I hadn’t considered.  The symptom of nearly-aligned vectors is a flipping in the horizontal directions for strike_dir and dip_dir, which can be easily seen when we plot those up as vectors.  I think we can try the tolerance for now, and see how it works.  Will we have a default value that could be overridden by the user?

Charles

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science