[CIG-SHORT] pylith install error

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 15:13:05 PDT 2014

Hi Birendra,

I’m having difficulty figuring out what you are trying to represent here.  It appears that you are using:

1.  Gravitational stresses.
2.  Initial stresses (presumably equal to the gravitational stresses).
3.  Normal tractions on the top and right boundaries.

Is this correct?

Actually, looking a bit more, these stresses don’t seem to balance.  You have nonzero normal stresses on your top boundary (they should be zero), as well as at the top of your right side.  Also, you have nonzero initial stresses at the top of your mesh, which won’t balance with gravitational stresses.  It appears you have an inconsistent stress state.

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon