[CIG-SHORT] Follow up on hdf5 issue while compiling

Romain Jolivet rjolivet at caltech.edu
Tue Nov 4 07:52:57 PST 2014

Dear Brad et al.,

Following my previous email:
I compiled pylith using the installer on an iMac (brand new), running Mac os X 10.9 (not Yosemite, Mavericks).
As things were not going that smoothly, I decided to enable every options available with the installer, but not gcc (I have gcc4.9 from macports).

When compiling hdf5, it stops, saying:

../../../hdf5-1.8.11/tools/lib/h5tools_dump.c:635:9: error: expected expression before '/' token
         //HGOTO_ERROR(dimension_break, H5E_tools_min_id_g, "Could not allocate buffer for ptdata”);

The compiler used is mpicc (given what the Makefile says) that has been compiled using the pylith installer.

I went inside the hdf5 code and modified the way comment were implemented at a few places, replacing // by the classic /* */.
It compiled, but this small issue must hide something bigger because the tests fail in pylith due to some hdf5 opening problem in pets (see testmeshio.log file attached).
The tests that fail are in unittests/libtests/meshio
It also fails when running the 2d subduction examples and any other example that writes hdf5 outputs.

Any idea? In the mean time, I will try with the 4.7 version of gcc from MacPorts (faster to install than the one from the installer),
Cheers,
Romain