[CIG-SHORT] plastic strain

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 14:12:07 PST 2014

Hi Birendra,

1.  total_strain is equal to elastic_strain + plastic_strain.  Look in the manual chapter on material models to see how things are set up.
2.  Strain always honors boundary conditions; however, you can get cases where the total strain is zero, but there is still plastic strain (e.g., elastic and plastic strains could cancel under certain conditions).

> On 7/11/2014, at 10:52 am, Birendra jha <bjha7333 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> 1. Does total_strain include plastic_strain, or is it only the elastic part?
> 2. Does plastic strain calculation in a cell adjacent to a boundary honor boundary conditions? For example, I will expect plastic_strain_YY and plastic_strain_ZZ=0 if the boundary is a plane along x on roller boundary condition?
>
> Thanks
> Birendra

Charles A. Williams
Scientist