[CIG-SHORT] hdf5 issue while compiling

Romain Jolivet rjolivet at caltech.edu
Fri Nov 7 09:48:31 PST 2014

> On 11/06/2014 03:58 AM, Romain Jolivet wrote:
>> I managed to install everything manually and it works (finally :-)).
>>
>> Although there are a few things I had to modify myself:
>>
>> - In the proj4 tarball, one needs to modify the include org_proj_PJ.h
>> into org_proj_Projections.h in jniproj.c (Proj-4.8.0/src/jniproj.c).
>
> I don't get this error. What compiler does this happen for? Please send
> the error message you get and the changed file.

I do not have the error message saved somewhere, but in the header of the file jniproj.c (in src), it includes org_proj4_PJ.h
This file is not in the distribution that installer downloads. It has been changed to org_proj4_Projections.h
I think they are the same file, that for some reason and its name changed. This bug has been referenced by the proj4 people.

>> - It is not possible to use the latest version of Numpy, as they
>> removed oldnumeric, which is used by ScientificPython and FIAT. I
>> found on a forum somewhere that the ScientificPython developer does
>> not want to deal with this issue and he is going to leave it like
>> that (i.e. ScientificPython cannot be used with versions of Numpy
>> newer than 1.7). If I am correct, maybe it would be worth notifying
>> the FIAT people so they get rid of ScientificPython in FIAT, or at
>> least to the Derivative functions).
>
> This is correct. The PyLith installer uses numpy 1.7.2. numpy 1.8.0 also
> works. We are in the process of removing the dependency on FIAT, so in
> the near future we will not need FIAT nor ScientificPython and this
> won't be an issue.
>
>> - I don?t know why, but configure in spatialdata and in pylith are
>> adding a -Wl,-framework,Python option to the libtool commands. This
>> leads libtool to link to MacOSX native python wether you set up your
>> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH correctly or not. So, I hacked the configure script
>> in both cases but it is pretty dirty, so if someone wants to check
>> what I did, I can send the scripts.
>
> This is probably not related to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH but finding Python or
> some Python package. If Python and all of its packages are coming from
> the user installed Python this shouldn't happen. It certainly doesn't
> for me on the Darwin buildbot or my Mac. That said, in order to get the
> Darwin binary to work for everyone on OS X Mavericks, we had to use
> DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES to make sure libstdc++ came from the PyLith
> install, not the system one.

Yes, indeed. When I was using the python package from the installer, this problem did not show up.
Please find attached my dirty-hacked configure script to see what I did if you are interested.

Romain