[CIG-SHORT] attenuation in a dynamic model?

Eunseo Choi (echoi2) echoi2 at memphis.edu
Thu Aug 6 09:17:35 PDT 2015

Can PyLith have attenuation in an explicit dynamic problem?

I couldn't find how to do this anywhere in the v.2.1.0 manual.

So, I first tried MaxwellIsotropic3D expecting the relaxation effect to do the job but even with a very high viscosity, an instability kicks in around the boundary where a time-dependent traction BC is applied. Maybe this material model works only in static or quasi-static problems? Or is it more likely to be a mistake in my problem setup?

I also read in PyLith's TO-DO list that the plan is to use the generalized Maxwell model for attenuation. Is this the material model I was supposed to use? Is it working in v.2.1.0 but just not being discussed in the manual?

Thanks,

Eunseo