[CIG-SHORT] fault meshing, SCEC mesh file

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 26 09:11:35 PDT 2015

On 08/26/2015 04:52 AM, Birendra jha wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to mesh a domain with a fault that does not cut it. Similarly
> to Fig. 9 in Aagaard et al, JGR 2013. How do I honor the fault
> surface in Trelis without using webcut? Are imprint and merge
> commands sufficient?
>
> I see that Fig. 10 in the above paper does this. So I am looking for
> the mesh file for SCEC benchmark TPV13. I am interested in a 3D tet
> mesh. If there is a mesh file for that, it will help me a lot.

Figure 10 is just a diagram for the simulation. It does not show the
actual geometry used with CUBIT. We are unaware of any methods for
creating interior surfaces in CUBIT that will be honored by the mesh. If
someone does know how to do this, please let us know!

In the geometry.jou file
(https://github.com/geodynamics/pylith_benchmarks/blob/master/dynamic/scecdynrup/tpv210/geometry.jou)
we create an extended fault surface that spans across the volume and use
webcut to create the fault surface. We do scribe lines on that surface
so that we can create a nodeset confined to the portion of the surface
corresponding to the fault and edges of cells line up with
discontinuities in the simulation parameters.

WARNING: The journal files may or may not work exactly as is for your
version of CUBIT/Trelis. The ids sometimes need to be updated as a
result of how entities are split by CUBIT. Using Idless journal files
does remedy this problem. We have tried to migrate the examples bundled
with PyLith to be independent of the CUBIT/Trelis version, but have not
migrated all of the benchmark journal files.