[CIG-SHORT] fault traction orientation

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu Jun 18 08:28:55 PDT 2015

Birendra,

The sign convention in Pylith for tractions/slip is:

1. Positive normal slip/traction is always opening/tension.

2. In 2-D, positive shear slip/traction is always left-lateral.

3. In 3-D, positive horiz shear slip/traction is always left-lateral. If
the fault normal is up (positive z), positive up-dip shear slip/traction
is reverse.

The sign conventions for the fault orientation directions:

1. normal_dir is the fault normal direction. The normal direction points
from the "negative" side of the fault to the "positive" side of the fault.

2. strike_dir and dip_dir are the directions of positive slip/traction
on the "positive" side of the fault.

The normal direction is set when we insert the cohesive cells into the
mesh. The strike_dir and dip_dir are set from the normal_dir and up_dir,
(0,0,1) by default, and PyLith will sometimes flip the dip_dir to give
the correct sense of motion according to the conventions listed above.

For nonplanar faults with changing dips (for example dipping east and
then dipping west), we choose the strike_dir and dip_dir to be
consistent, so these cases require checking the orientation vectors to
insure the fault moves in the desired directions.