[CIG-SHORT] Absorbing - loading BC

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Nov 24 13:32:19 PST 2015

Farrokh,

The absorbing boundary condition is setup to apply tractions equal to
the tractions generated by a normally incident P or S wave. Any
deviations from this due to additional loading BC will reduce the
effectiveness of the absorbing boundary. Dirichlet BC will result in a
complete reflection.

The absorbing boundary condition is designed to mimic an infinite
medium, so it doesn't really make sense to apply a loading BC on those
boundaries. In dynamic problems, usually we use initial fault tractions
and/or initial stresses to apply the loading (which may come from a
separate static or quasi-static problem).