[CIG-SHORT] Caldera ring structure in volcanic FE model

Lucas Holden lucas.holden at rmit.edu.au
Thu Aug 11 05:16:03 PDT 2016

Hi

thanks for your reply.

The problem is a 3D problem. At present I have been using a model based on
the volcano chamber/dike example in the Pylith wiki. I have added/used a
cylinder structure above the magma chamber to represent the caldera ring
structure.

I use a dynamic fault interface with static friction (from the fault
example in the manual section-7.8.7.2 Step10 and workshops). The caldera
fault is modelled as a circular vertical ring (which I create using a
vertical cylinder). The model runs, however there is no significant
traction or slip occurring on the fault. I have also had to decrease the
ksp_atol and snes_atol tolerance values to get the model to converge,
however even with these values the convergence takes a while. These are at
present:

*ksp_rtol = 1.0e-10ksp_atol = 1.0e-8*

*snes_rtol = 1.0e-10snes_atol = 1.0e-8*

I have included my pylithapp.cfg and problem.cfg file as well as the
current run log in this email.

I will further investigate the mesh sizing example
(examples/meshing/cubit_cellsize)
to examine the influence of the mesh cell size around the structure, as
suggested.

Again, thanks for looking into my problem.

Regards

Lucas