[CIG-SHORT] pylith error in model with big time step and low viscosity

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Fri Jun 10 08:29:02 PDT 2016

David,

The error message you are getting is associated with a built-in check
that compares the Maxwell relaxation time with the time step. PyLith
generates an error if the time step is greater than 1/5 of the Maxwell
time. This insures that the simulation will be able to resolve the
viscoelastic deformation with a reasonable accuracy.

It is possible to circumvent this by using the TimeStepAdapt time
stepper with a stability factor much less than 1.0, but you should be
aware that your simulations will have significant errors in resolving
the viscoelastic relaxation.