[CIG-SHORT] PyLith tutorial at CIG16: things you need to do **before** the tutorial

Ravi Kanda kanda.vs.ravi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 08:13:04 PDT 2016

Hi Brad,

I am trying to install Pylith on Ubuntu 14 with the latest source
installer tarball (2.1.0-3).  I already have previous (apt-get)
installations of mpi2, python/numpy, netcdf4, proj4, and cppunit. So, I
am using the "DESKTOP-LINUX-MINIMAL" options as described in the
"INSTALL" file.  Running config from directory $PYLITHROOT/src/pylith,
which also contains the pylith installer directory,
'pylith-installer-2.1.0-3'.  I am running into config problems (attached
CONFIG.LOG), which I hope is due to a stupid mistake on my part:

(1) I get two "command not found" or "No such file or directory" errors
when I unset or set, respectively, the CPPFLAGS env variable related to
the following:
      - configure:22278: checking cppunit/TestRunner.h presence
      - configure:23244: checking netcdfcpp.h presence
The appropriate include-dir for the above on my system is /usr/include,
which I thought was 'standard'.  Also, in both cases, I see something
like the following below each of these items (line numbers purged):
     "... accepted by the compiler, rejected by the preprocessor!
      ... WARNING: ... : proceeding with the compiler's result"

(2)  Then configure seems to go into an "infinite loop" after looking
for 'netcdfcpp.h', printing out lines containing only the string "=yes"
(see attached STDOUT capture).  When I look at system processes in
'top', I see an executable with the name 'yes' running away.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ravi.

On 06/06/2016 10:48 AM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
> PyLith Tutorial: Things you need to do **before** the tutorial
>
>   IMPORTANT: We expect you to make use of the extensive documentation
>   and online instructions **BEFORE** the tutorial. This will allow us
>   to make better use of the limited time for tutorials at the
>   CIG16 meeting.
>
>   1. Install PyLith, ParaView, and CUBIT/Trelis. See the instructions
>   at the bottom of the tutorial webpage. PyLith and Paraview are
>   open-source with binary packages available; Trelis has a 30-day
>   free trial. Some institutions may already have Trelis licenses, so
>   ask around your department to see if you can use an existing
>   license.
>
>   For the tutorial, we will be using PyLith v2.2.0, ParaView 5.0.1,
>   CUBIT 15.1 (US gov't agencies), and Trelis 16.0.2 (everyone
>   else). PyLith v2.2.0 will be released shortly before the
>   tutorial. It will include some bug fixes and improvements to the
>   manual. We recommend getting familiar with v2.1.0 as it is very
>   similar.
>
>   2. Read the software manuals!
>
>   3. View the videos from last year's tutorials that are available
>   online at https://wiki.geodynamics.org/software:pylith:start (2015
>   Crustal Deformation Modeling Tutorial). Work through the examples
>   that are discused.
>
>   4. If possible, come to the workshop with an idea of what you want
>   to model. In general, we recommend starting with a small, 2-D
>   simplified version to play with during the workshop and then
>   gradually adding complexity to achieve the desired final
>   model. Participants who follow this advice get the most out of the
>   tutorials!
>
> Regards,
> Brad Aagaard
> Charles Williams
> Matt Knepley

Ravi Kanda
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Geology
Utah State University
4505 Old Main Hill
Logan UT 84322-4505
Web Page: https://ravi-vs-kanda.github.io

For a human being, the unexamined life is not worth living - SOCRATES