[CIG-SHORT] pylith error in model with big time step and low viscosity

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 16:07:21 PDT 2016

Brad is correct.  Using a high viscosity will not change the size of the stable time step.  If you really want to use a much larger time step, you can do as Brad suggested earlier — change the stability factor.  To insure that you are getting an accurate solution, you could run for a shorter time period with a smaller time step, and compare the results at that time.  That will at least make sure your solution to that point is accurate using the larger time step.

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon