[CIG-SHORT] PyLith tutorial at CIG16: things you need to do **before** the tutorial

Ravi Kanda kanda.vs.ravi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:29:33 PDT 2016

Brad,

I managed to get back to the Pylith installation this afternoon. Looks
like I was able to install after enabling both cppunit & netcdf - but
only with the "--enable-force-install" config option. After setting up
my env-variables, I was able to run Pylith without any problems as far
as I can tell.  I ran "examples/2d/subduction" - step01 (attached image)
- don't see any errors/warnings in STDOUT, and I was able to get all 12
pairs of output files as stated in the manual (Sec. 7.9.4).

I have a couple of quick questions regarding my installation:

(1) The binary linux tarball from the website contains three folders
(etc, lib64, src), that I do not see under my <PYLITH-INSTALL-ROOT>.  Is
that a 'red-flag'?

(2) After pylith installed, I only found examples under the
<INSTALLER-ROOT>/pylith-2.1.0/examples folder.  Is this the expected
behavior, or was I supposed to see it an unpacked version under
<PYLITH-INSTALL-ROOT>/src/examples?  The reason I ask is that the pylith
binary for linux contains such a directory with the unpacked cfg/mesh
files.  However, the <INSTALLER-ROOT>/pylith-build/examples directory
does not contain any of the cfg/mesh files - only the directory
structure + Makefiles.

Again, thanks for your help in sorting my config issue quickly this AM.

Best wishes,
Ravi.
=======================================

On 06/13/2016 10:35 AM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
> On 06/13/2016 09:33 AM, Brad Aagaard wrote:
>> Ravi,
>>
>> I am still tracking down the infinite loop, but I think I found the
>> source of the problem. PyLith requires NetCDF v4.1.3. You probably have
>> a later version. Try using --enable-netcdf.
>>
>> PyLith uses the C++ bindings that were part of v4.1.3; later versions
>> only include the C++ bindings in a separate distribution and do not seem
>> to be kept in sync. In a future release, we plan to switch to using the
>> C NetCDF API so that we can make use of later NetCDF versions.
>
> Also remove setting CPPFLAGS to -I/usr/include.

Ravi Kanda
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Department of Geology
Utah State University
4505 Old Main Hill
Logan UT 84322-4505
Web Page: https://ravi-vs-kanda.github.io

For a human being, the unexamined life is not worth living - SOCRATES