[CIG-SHORT] PyLith tutorial at CIG16: things you need to do **before** the tutorial

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Jun 13 15:39:47 PDT 2016

On 06/13/2016 03:29 PM, Ravi Kanda wrote:
> Brad,
>
> I managed to get back to the Pylith installation this afternoon. Looks
> like I was able to install after enabling both cppunit & netcdf - but
> only with the "--enable-force-install" config option. After setting up
> my env-variables, I was able to run Pylith without any problems as far
> as I can tell.  I ran "examples/2d/subduction" - step01 (attached image)
> - don't see any errors/warnings in STDOUT, and I was able to get all 12
> pairs of output files as stated in the manual (Sec. 7.9.4).
>
> I have a couple of quick questions regarding my installation:
>
> (1) The binary linux tarball from the website contains three folders
> (etc, lib64, src), that I do not see under my <PYLITH-INSTALL-ROOT>.  Is
> that a 'red-flag'?

Glad to hear that the installer worked for you.

No, the absence of these directories is not a red flag.

lib64 may nor may not be there, depending on the compiler and linker.

etc may or may not be there depending on which dependencies the
installer installed.

src will never be in $PREFIX (see below).

> (2) After pylith installed, I only found examples under the
> <INSTALLER-ROOT>/pylith-2.1.0/examples folder.  Is this the expected
> behavior, or was I supposed to see it an unpacked version under
> <PYLITH-INSTALL-ROOT>/src/examples?  The reason I ask is that the pylith
> binary for linux contains such a directory with the unpacked cfg/mesh
> files.  However, the <INSTALLER-ROOT>/pylith-build/examples directory
> does not contain any of the cfg/mesh files - only the directory
> structure + Makefiles.

The PyLith installer builds PyLith from source, so you already have a
copy of the source code; it doesn't really make sense to make another
copy of the source code in $PREFIX. We package the source code with the
binary package so people have the examples and the corresponding source
code.