[CIG-SHORT] fault opening near tip problem

Eren Ucar Eren.Ucar at math.uib.no
Tue May 10 08:04:36 PDT 2016

Hi,

I am currently working on fracture deformation modeling.  I am trying to learn how to use Pylith. I am willing to implement relative motion across the fault surface(cohesive cells). I have started with 2D implementation, 10mx10m square. I added the picture of the domain (domain.pdf).  There is a fracture in the middle of domain (green line). I wanted to implement fault opening (0.01m). The fracture doesn’t cut through the domain so I introduced the tip nodes as fault edge. The boundary conditions everywhere are zero with constrained in both x and y direction. I attached the figure of the deformation in the domain (deformation_pylith.pdf). It is a vector drawing (precisely; matlab quiver). I drew the fracture again with green line. My question is; as you can see from the picture, there are different behaviors near the tips. I circled the regions with yellow. Tips are not displacing which is something I expected. But there is a different behavior near the tip that I couldn’t understand.

Is this something normal? Maybe I made an implementation mistake.

Ps1: When I fine the mesh I still get the same behavior.

Ps2: When the fracture cuts through the domain, solution seems as I expected. No problem.

Ps3: I write my own ascii file for mesh.

I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Eren