[CIG-SHORT] Single event dynamic earthquake rupture modeling in PyLith

Mamun Miah mmiah at go.olemiss.edu
Wed May 25 16:29:07 PDT 2016

Dear Brad,

I have been able to simulate dynamic rupture of a fault from fluid
injection after following your links. I am using TOUGH2 for fluid
simulation. However, I have a question in regard to the computation of
spatial and temporal variation of tractions on the fault surface. In the
Python script 'create_traction.py', you used a function F =
mask*numpy.exp(r**2/(r**2-R**2)) and G =
mask1*numpy.exp((t-T)**2/(t*(t-2*T))) + mask2*1.0. I am a bit unclear about
how the combination of these two functions is replicating the stress
transfer in the form of wave propagation to simulate dynamic rupture on the
fault. I would highly appreciate if you kindly elaborate on this.

Thanks,
Mamun