[CIG-SHORT] Single event dynamic earthquake rupture modeling in PyLith

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu May 26 08:21:02 PDT 2016

Mamum,

The traction perturbation to nucleate rupture is described in the SCEC
benchmark description. These are posted at
http://scecdata.usc.edu/cvws/benchmark_descriptions.html with the
details for TPV102 at
http://scecdata.usc.edu/cvws/download/SCEC_validation_ageing_law.pdf.

The traction perturbations for nucleation in these benchmarks are mostly
ad hoc in terms of their spatial and temporal evolution. Some of the
first ones used square distributions with discontinuities. Obviously,
this can cause ambiguity and numerical issues in implementing them.
TPV102 uses a smoother distribution as do most of the later ones.