[CIG-SHORT] generate topographic surface in cubit/trelis

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu May 26 11:41:23 PDT 2016

Kang,

I have not encountered the problem you describe, but I have not made
many meshes with topography. Depending in your scale, you may have
nearly coincident points or CUBIT/Trelis thinks they are coincident due
to tolerance issues.

We recommend only including topography at a scale that is relevant to
your objective. If your discretization size to resolve the deformation
is on the order of 5 km, then the spatial resolution of your topography
should probably be of similar scale. If the elevation is not on the
order of 1 km, then your model is probably not sensitive to topography
and you might as well use a flat ground surface.