[CIG-SHORT] Stress concentration near the fault tip

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:36:34 PST 2016

Dear Josimar,

The primary purpose of using the fault edge is for faults that terminate within the domain.  This allows PyLith to properly form the cohesive cells.  Since your fault edge is on an external boundary you don’t need this.  It appears that you are not applying any normal force to the fault, so it is not clamped at all.  Have you verified that both your linear and nonlinear solutions are converging?

Also, what is the purpose of the tractions applied on the left side of the model?