[CIG-SHORT] Stress concentration near the fault tip

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 05:10:02 PST 2016

Dear Charles,

Thank you for clarifying the purpose of the fault edge. This was a little
bit unclear. My understanding of the fault edges comes from figure 6.4,
page 86 of the manual, and I try to follow this example on my simulations.

Regarding you other comments, the purpose of the tractions on the left side
is to balance the gravitational forces. Perhaps I should also include
tractions on the lower right side of the domain, where displacements are
also being applied ?

Now, regarding your comment "not applying any normal force to the fault, so
it is not clamped at all", do you mean that I should apply initial normal
stresses to the fault using, for example, the db_initial_stress option ? I
assume that this initial stress would correspond to the overburden stress,
correct ?

I believe that the linear and nonlinear solutions are converging. See
attached log file.

Thank you,
Josimar