[CIG-SHORT] Smoothing Issues

Nick Wogan nicholaswogan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:08:16 PST 2016

Brad and Charles,

Looks like Cubit isn't in the budget unfortunately, but I am slowly
learning LaGriT.

Things are looking better. Attached is an image of one mesh used, and the
resulting stresses which seem to be much smoother. I have run into another
problem- the iterative solver is not converging for this new mesh. For all
of the previously run simulations I have used the following PETSC settings.

# Set the solver options.
[pylithapp.petsc]
malloc_dump =
pc_type = asm
sub_pc_factor_shift_type = nonzero
ksp_rtol = 1.0e-8
ksp_atol = 1.0e-12
ksp_max_it = 5000
ksp_gmres_restart = 50
ksp_monitor = true
ksp_view = true
ksp_converged_reason = true
ksp_error_if_not_converged = true
log_summary = true

I changed the settings to a direct solver and it produced a solution:
[pylithapp.petsc]
snes_view = true
pc_type = lu

Now I am trying to fine the mesh further to hopefully produce a smoother
solution, but the neither solver is working. The iterative solver doesn't
converging to a reasonable value. The direct solver runs out of memory. Is
there a better iterative solver that would work better for this problem?
(Note I reduced poison's ratio of lower crust to 0.45)

Less importantly: the material spacialdb assigned to a specific material ID
in the .cfg file is not working properly. It seems to assign given material
properties to any region somewhat arbitrarily. According to Lagrit the
material id's should be...

Material id 1: Upper crust with square "hole" in it
Material id 2: Upper crust density anomaly from z=0 to z=-4000
Material id 3: Upper crust under density anomaly from z = -4000 to z=-8000
Material id 4: Lower crust

Here is zip containing cfg that produced attached images (wallowa01.cfg).​
 Wallowa1.zip
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxnRdwFIDyn5QWRhaFZtMHVBYzA/view?usp=drive_web>
​
Lots of questions here and i totally understand if you can't answer them
fully. I thank you for any amount of feedback!

Nick