[CIG-SHORT] Initial stress diagnostic output

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:43:08 PST 2016

Dear Demian,

I may be mistaken, but I believe that if you turn off gravity for your problem the remaining stresses should be the initial stresses.  The one issue is that if the stresses aren’t in equilibrium there will be some displacement, which will in turn alter the stresses.  You should be able to fix this by constraining the displacements.

> On 23/11/2016, at 4:44 AM, Demian Gomez <demiang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I am still trying to incorporate gravity to my model. After I run my quasi-static simulation (with zero displacement at the fault) I'm getting ~16 m of displacement with a very suspicious spatial variation. Therefore, something is inconsistent but I can't figure out what it is. Is there a way to output the initial stress as a diagnostic variable (like density, lambda, etc)? I didn't find how to do this in the manual. It would be very helpful to see how Pylith is assigning my initial stress spatialdb to the domain.
>
> Thanks,
> Demián
>
> --
> Dr. Demián D. Gómez
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> The Ohio State University - School of Earth Sciences
> 275 Mendenhall Laboratory
> 125 South Oval Mall
> Columbus, Ohio 43210
> Cell: +1 (901) 900-7324
> email: gomez.124 at osu.edu <mailto:gomez.124 at osu.edu>

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>