[CIG-SHORT] Save pylith results only to H5 files

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 25 09:39:57 PDT 2016

Francisco,

I don't know what you mean by "the following do not turn off the vtk
writer for the rest of the faces". Both sets of parameters yout listed
refer to the same component:
pylithapp.problem.formulation.output.subdomain. As a result, the second
set will override the first set of parameters.

The error message you are getting suggests there is something wrong with
line 109 in the file visco_shell.cfg. The error message seems to
indicate that line 109 is missing a leading square bracket [. The
parameters you listed do have the square bracket but I don't know which
line corresponds to line 109.

If you are trying to turn off output for the entire domain while keeping
output over the ground surface, then use:

[pylithapp.problem.formulation]
output = [subdomain]
output.subdomain = pylith.meshio.OutputSolnSubset

[pylithapp.problem.formulation.output.subdomain]
writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5
label = face_zpos
vertex_data_fields = [displacement]
writer.filename = surface.h5

This sets the array of output managers for the solution to an array with
one item: subdomain. We then set the output manager called 'subdomain'
to the output manager corresponding to a subset of the solution
(pylith.meshio.OutputSolnSubset). As a result, there will not be output
over the domain.