[CIG-SHORT] Stress output element order

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 16:19:02 PDT 2017

Dear Teng,

We have no way of knowing how you created your mesh.  The order of the elements will depend on that.  It’s also quite possible that the elements are not ordered in a row-by-row or column-by-column way.  If you use Paraview, you can do the contours without needing to know the element ordering.  Also, if necessary, you can use Paraview to open the original mesh (assuming that it’s something like a .exo file) and see the element ordering.

> On 3/04/2017, at 7:52 AM, Li, Teng <tengli2 at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> My model is a 2d plane. The size is 1000m*1000m. And I use mesh size 25m. So there is totally 1600 square element in the domain. And I would like to output the stress using FilterAvg CellFilter. Then I out put a h5 file.
> I find the size of stress variable is (3*1600*205), in which 3 is three stress components, 1600 are the total number of elements in the domain, and 205 is time step.
> And I am now using Matlab to create contour 2d plane plot.
> My question is: What is the order of the 1600 elements?
> For example,
> it is
> 1 2 3 4 5 ....40
> 41 42 43 44 ....80
>
> or it is in other way?
>
> Thanks!
>

> Teng Li
>
> Master Candidate in Structures
>
> Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering

> 205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801
>
> Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu <mailto:tengli2 at illinois.edu>

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>