[CIG-SHORT] Question

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 18 19:50:22 PDT 2017

Hi,
I have a question about quadrature.cell.quad_order. In my case, I have a main fault and a secondary fault. And these 2 faults meet at one node. I create a nodeset named fault_edge for this edge. And in the .cfg file. I write         edge=fault_edge only in the fault1 part, which is the secondary fault. Should I also write edge=fault_edge in the fault part?
And also, after running the code, I get the error:

>> {command line}::

 >> pyre.inventory(error)

 -- 'quadrature.cell.quad_order'

pylithapp: configuration error(s)

I have set quadrature.cell.quad_order =2 in material, 4 boundaries, and 2 faults.

And in the beginning, I have opened the journal: quadrature2d=1.

And my code is:

[pylithapp]

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# journal

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# Turn on some journals to show progress.

[pylithapp.journal.info]

pylithapp = 1

timedependent = 1

explicit = 1

pets = 1

meshiocubit = 1

explicit elasticity = 1

quadrature2d = 1

fiatlagrange = 1

faultcohesivedyn = 1

[pylithapp.journal.debug]

pylithapp = 1

problem = 1

explicit = 1

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# mesh_generator

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.mesh_generator]

# uncomment to get very verbose mesh information

#debug = 1

# Change the default mesh reader to the CUBIT reader.

reader = pylith.meshio.MeshIOCubit

#refiner = pylith.topology.RefineUniform

[pylithapp.mesh_generator.reader]

# Set filename of mesh to read and dimension for coordinate system.

filename =Ref_sec_12.5.exo

coordsys.space_dim = 2

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# problem

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent]

# Set the spatial dimension of the problem.

dimension = 2

# Change to an explicit time stepping formulation with no elastic prestep.

formulation = pylith.problems.Explicit

elastic_prestep = False

# Nondimensionalize problem using wave propagation parameters.

normalizer = spatialdata.units.NondimElasticDynamic

normalizer.shear_wave_speed = 1.0*km/s

# Set bc to an array with 4 boundary conditions: 'x_neg', 'x_pos', 'y_neg', and 'y_pos'

bc = [x_pos,x_neg,y_neg,y_pos]

# Set interfaces to an array with 3 faults: 'fault' 'fault1' 'fault2'.

interfaces = [fault,fault1]

# Set materials to an array with 1 material 'elastic'.

materials = [elastic]

[pylithapp.timedependent.formulation.time_step]

# Set the total time of the simulation and the time step.

total_time = 8.9*s

dt = 0.0018*s

# This is not a self-contained simulation configuration file. This

# file only specifies the general parameters common to the dynamic

# fault (friction interface) simulations in this directory.

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# materials

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.materials]

# Use elastic plane strain bulk constitutive model.

elastic = pylith.materials.ElasticPlaneStrain

[pylithapp.timedependent.materials.elastic]

# Label for material

label = Elastic material

# Nodeset id from CUBIT

id = 1

# Spatial database with physical properties for elastic material

db_properties.label = Elastic properties

db_properties.iohandler.filename = matprops.spatialdb

# Set the basis functions and quadrature:

# 2-D Lagrange cell with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 2

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# boundary conditions

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc]

# Change the default Dirichlet BC to the AbsorbingDampers BC

x_pos = pylith.bc.AbsorbingDampers

x_neg = pylith.bc.AbsorbingDampers

y_neg = pylith.bc.AbsorbingDampers

y_pos = pylith.bc.AbsorbingDampers

# x positive

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc.x_pos]

# Absorbing BC on +x face of bar

# Name of nodeset in CUBIT

label = face_xpos

# Specify label and filename for spatial database with physical properties

db.label = Absorbing BC +x

db.iohandler.filename = matprops.spatialdb

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# x negative

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc.x_neg]

# Absorbing BC on -x face of bar

# Name of nodeset in CUBIT

label = face_xneg

# Specify label and filename for spatial database with physical properties

db.label = Absorbing BC -x

db.iohandler.filename = matprops.spatialdb

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# y negative

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc.y_neg]

# Absorbing BC on -y face of bar

# Name of nodeset in CUBIT

label = face_yneg

# Specify label and filename for spatial database with physical properties

db.label = Absorbing BC -y

db.iohandler.filename = matprops.spatialdb

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# y positive

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.bc.y_pos]

# Absorbing BC on +y face of bar

# Name of nodeset in CUBIT

label = face_ypos

# Specify label and filename for spatial database with physical properties

db.label = Absorbing BC +y

db.iohandler.filename = matprops.spatialdb

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# faults

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# fault

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces]

# Change fault to dynamic fault interface.

fault = pylith.faults.FaultCohesiveDyn

fault1 = pylith.faults.FaultCohesiveDyn

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault]

# Material id

id = 100

# Name of nodeset from CUBIT

label = fault

#edge= fault_edge

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# slip-weakening friction

friction = pylith.friction.SlipWeakening

friction.label = Slip weakening

# Set the slip-weakening friction model parameters.

#  static coefficient of friction: 0.6

#  dynamic coefficient of friction: 0.3

#  slip-weakening parameter: 0.2 m

#  cohesion: 10 MPa

friction.db_properties = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB

friction.db_properties.label = Slip weakening

friction.db_properties.values = [static-coefficient,dynamic-coefficient,slip-weakening-parameter,cohesion]

friction.db_properties.data = [0.6,0.3,0.2*m,0.0*Pa]

# Specify the initial tractions and a temporal perturbation on the

# fault using a uniform DB.

#

# Initial

#   shear: 75.0 MPa (right-lateral)

#   normal 120 MPa (compressive)

# Perturbation

#   shear: 25.0 MPa (right-lateral)

traction_perturbation = pylith.faults.TractPerturbation

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault.traction_perturbation]

#db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB

#db_initial.label = Initial fault tractions

#db_initial.values = [traction-shear,traction-normal]

#db_initial.data = [-75.0*MPa, -120.0*MPa]

db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB

db_initial.label = Initial fault tractions

# Spatial database with physical properties for elastic material

db_initial.iohandler.filename = traction.spatialdb

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# fault1

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault1]

# Material id

id = 101

# Name of nodeset from CUBIT

label = fault1

edge= fault_edge

# Specify the basis functions and quadrature:

# 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature

quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange

quadrature.cell.dimension = 1

quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2

# slip-weakening friction

 friction = pylith.friction.SlipWeakening

 friction.label = Slip weakening

# Set the slip-weakening friction model parameters.

#  static coefficient of friction: 0.6

#  dynamic coefficient of friction: 0.3

#  slip-weakening parameter: 0.2 m

#  cohesion: 0 Pa

 friction.db_properties = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB

 friction.db_properties.label = Slip weakening

 friction.db_properties.values = [static-coefficient,dynamic-coefficient,slip-weakening-parameter,cohesion]

 friction.db_properties.data = [0.6,0.3,0.2*m,0.0*Pa]

# Specify the initial tractions and a temporal perturbation on the

# fault using a uniform DB.

#

# Initial

#   shear: 75.0 MPa (right-lateral)

#   normal 120 MPa (compressive)

# Perturbation

#   shear: 25.0 MPa (right-lateral)

 traction_perturbation = pylith.faults.TractPerturbation

 [pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault1.traction_perturbation]

#db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB

#db_initial.label = Initial fault1 tractions

#db_initial.values = [traction-shear,traction-normal]

#db_initial.data = [-75.0*MPa, -120.0*MPa]

 db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB

 db_initial.label = Initial fault1 tractions

# Spatial database with physical properties for elastic material

 db_initial.iohandler.filename = traction1.spatialdb

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# PETSc

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.petsc]

# PETSc summary -- useful for performance information.

log_summary = true

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

# output

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

[pylithapp.problem.formulation]

output = [domain]

#——Domain velocity

[pylithapp.problem.formulation.output.domain]

vertex_data_fields = [displacement,velocity]

skip= 200

writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5

writer.filename = output/domain.vtk

#----Fault

[pylithapp.problem.interfaces.fault.output]

vertex_info_fields = []

vertex_data_fields = [slip,slip_rate,traction]

writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5

skip = 20

writer.filename = output/fault.h5

#----Fault1

 [pylithapp.problem.interfaces.fault1.output]

 vertex_info_fields = []

 vertex_data_fields = [slip,slip_rate,traction]

 writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5

 skip = 20

 writer.filename = output/fault1.h5

#——Stress

[pylithapp.problem.materials.elastic.output]

cell_info_fields = []

cell_data_fields = [stress]

cell_filter = pylith.meshio.CellFilterAvg

writer = pylith.meshio.DataWriterHDF5

writer.filename = ouptut/material.h5

skip=20

Do you know why this happens?
Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu