[CIG-SHORT] Question

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 01:01:14 PDT 2017

Hi Teng Li,

I can’t be sure, but are you defining your interfaces correctly?  Looking at one of your previous .cfg files I didn’t see where you were doing that.  You should have something like:

[pylithapp.timedependent]
interfaces = [fault,fault1]

> On 19/04/2017, at 6:20 PM, Li, Teng <tengli2 at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Brad,
> After testing, I find the error only occurs in fault1 part as follows:
>

> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> # fault1
> # ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> [pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault1]
>
> # Material id
> id = 101
>
> # Name of nodeset from CUBIT
> label = fault1
> edge= fault_edge
>
> # Specify the basis functions and quadrature:
> # 1-D Lagrange cell in 2-D space with 2nd order quadrature
> quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange
> quadrature.cell.dimension = 1
> quadrature.cell.quad_order = 2
>
> # slip-weakening friction
> friction = pylith.friction.SlipWeakening
> friction.label = Slip weakening
>
> # Set the slip-weakening friction model parameters.
> #  static coefficient of friction: 0.6
> #  dynamic coefficient of friction: 0.3
> #  slip-weakening parameter: 0.2 m
> #  cohesion: 0 Pa
> friction.db_properties = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB
> friction.db_properties.label = Slip weakening
> friction.db_properties.values = [static-coefficient,dynamic-coefficient,slip-weakening-parameter,cohesion]
> friction.db_properties.data = [0.6,0.3,0.2*m,0.0*Pa]
> # Specify the initial tractions and a temporal perturbation on the
> # fault using a uniform DB.
> #
> # Initial
> #   shear: 75.0 MPa (right-lateral)
> #   normal 120 MPa (compressive)
> # Perturbation
> #   shear: 25.0 MPa (right-lateral)
> traction_perturbation = pylith.faults.TractPerturbation
>
> [pylithapp.timedependent.interfaces.fault1.traction_perturbation]
> #db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.UniformDB
> #db_initial.label = Initial fault1 tractions
> #db_initial.values = [traction-shear,traction-normal]
> #db_initial.data = [-75.0*MPa, -120.0*MPa]
> db_initial = spatialdata.spatialdb.SimpleDB
> db_initial.label = Initial fault1 tractions
>
> # Spatial database with physical properties for elastic material
> db_initial.iohandler.filename = traction1.spatialdb
>

> And I find that the ultimate reason is in the quadrature.cell part.
>

>>> {command line}::
>>> pyre.inventory(error)
> -- 'quadrature.cell'
> pylithapp: configuration error(s)
>

> It seems in fault1, I can not use:
>
> quadrature.cell = pylith.feassemble.FIATLagrange
>

> Do you have any suggestions on this?
> Best,
> Teng
>
> Teng Li
>
> Master Candidate in Structures
>
> Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering

> 205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801
>
> Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu

Charles Williams I Geodynamic Modeler
GNS Science I Te Pῡ Ao
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon 5010, PO Box 30368, Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand
Ph 0064-4-570-4566 I Mob 0064-22-350-7326 I Fax 0064-4-570-4600
http://www.gns.cri.nz/ <http://www.gns.cri.nz/> I Email: C.Williams at gns.cri.nz <mailto:your.email at gns.cri.nz>