[CIG-SHORT] XFEM

Ehsan Haghighat ehsanh at mit.edu
Wed Aug 23 11:26:18 PDT 2017

Hi Brad,

Getting more familiar with the geo-physical problems, I see a great advantage in using the Extended FEM to represent the fault geometry. As a result, I am going through the code to understand where this can be implemented in a way that does not break the code and can be merged to the pylith in future (initial brainstorming, nothing implemented yet). Having said that, I have few questions regarding the details of implementations:

- Do you have any thought how the crack surface can be defined?
- Can parameter _numBasis be different for different elements? Or it has to be uniform all over the domain?
- Does pylith support combined Triangular/Quadrilateral meshes?

It would be great if there is a chance to have a skype conversation; I would really like to discuss some challenges and hear your suggestions directly before jumping into this problem.

Thanks,
Ehsan